Base Agreement Article IX Publication and Academic Rights
Base Agreement Section 9.01 Use of Information.
For the purposes of this Article, “Parties” means the PAH and the Government where collectively identified and “Party” where each entity is individually identified.
Subject to the provisions of Article VIII (Confidential Information), Article IX (Publication and Academic Rights), and Article XI (Data Rights), the PAH and the Government shall have the right to publish or otherwise disclose information and/or data developed by the Government and/or the respective MCDC PAH under the Research Project. The PAH and the Government (and its employees) shall include an appropriate acknowledgement of the sponsorship of the Research Projects by the Government and the MCDC PAH in such publication or disclosure. The Parties shall have only the right to use, disclose, and exploit any such data and Confidential Information in accordance with the rights held by them pursuant to this Agreement. Notwithstanding the above, the Parties shall not be deemed authorized by this paragraph, alone, to disclose any Confidential Information of the Government or the PAH.
Base Agreement Section 9.02 Publication or Public Disclosure of Information
(a) Classified Project. If a release of Confidential Information or Trade Secrets is for a classified Project Agreement, the provisions of the DoD Security Agreement (DD Form 441) and the DoD Contract Security Classification Specification (DD Form 254) apply.
(b) Review or Approval of Technical Information for Public Release.
- (1) At least 30 days prior to the scheduled release date PAH shall submit to the CMF a copy of the information to be released. In turn, CMF shall submit to the Government AOR a copy of the information to be released.
- The Government AOR is hereby designated as the approval authority for the AO for such releases.
- (2) Where the PAH is an Academic Research Institution performing fundamental research on campus. PAH shall provide papers and publications for provision to the CMF for provision to the Government AOR for review and comment 30 days prior to formal paper/publication submission. However, if that Academic Research Institution incorporates into its research results or publications artifacts produced by and provided to these institutions on behalf of other (non-educational institution) MCDC PAHs (or has authors listed on the paper who are not employees or students of the Academic Research Institution) then the procedures in Section 9.02(a) ABOVE must be followed.
- (3) Parties to this Agreement are responsible for assuring that an acknowledgment of government support will appear in any publication of any material based on or developed under this OTA, using the following acknowledgement terms:
- “Effort sponsored by the U.S. Government under Other Transaction number W15QKN-16-9-1002 between the MCDC, and the Government. The US Government is authorized to reproduce and distribute reprints for Governmental purposes notwithstanding any copyright notation thereon.”
- (4) Parties to this Agreement are also responsible for assuring that every publication of material based on or developed under this project contains the following disclaimer: “The views and conclusions contained herein are those of the authors and should not be interpreted as necessarily representing the official policies or endorsements, either expressed or implied, of the U.S. Government.
The PAH shall flow down these requirements to its subawardees, at all tiers.
(c) Notices. To avoid disclosure of Confidential Information or Trade Secrets belonging to an MCDC member entity or PAH and/or the Government and the loss of patent rights as a result of premature public disclosure of patentable information, the PAH that is proposing to publish or disclose such information shall provide advance notice to the MCDC, through its CMF, and identify such other parties as may have an interest in such Confidential Information. The CMF shall notify such parties at least thirty (30) calendar days prior to any PAH’s submission for publication or disclosure, together with any and all materials intended for publication or disclosure relating to technical reports, data, or information developed by the parties during the term of and pursuant to this Agreement. The Government must notify the MCDC, through its CMF, of any objection to disclosure within this thirty (30) day period, or else the PAH, shall be deemed authorized to make such disclosure.
(d) Filing of Patent Applications. During the course of any such thirty (30) calendar day period, the PAH shall provide notice to the CMF as to whether it desires that a patent application be filed on any invention disclosed in such materials. In the event that a PAH and/or the Government desires that such a patent be filed, the PAH or the Government proposing to publish or disclose such materials agrees to withhold publication and disclosure of such materials until the occurrence of the first of the following:
- (1) Filing of a patent application covering such invention, or
- (2) Written agreement, from the AO and the CMF (on behalf of the PAH to whom such Confidential Information belong) that no patentable invention is disclosed in such materials.
- (3) Further, during the course of any such 90 calendar day period, the PAH shall notify the AO and the Government, through the CMF, if PAH believes any of its Confidential Information have been included in the proposed publication or disclosure and shall identify the specific Confidential Information or Trade Secrets that need to be removed from such proposed publication. The Government and the CMF on behalf of the PAH proposing the publication or disclosure of such materials agrees to remove from the proposed publication or disclosure all such Confidential Information so identified by the CMF.