Base Agreement: 11.01 Definitions
(7) “Data” as used in this Article of the Agreement, means computer software, computer software documentation, form, fit and function data, and technical data as defined in this Article
(9) “Government purpose rights” means the rights to use, modify, duplicate or disclose the “Data” licensed with such rights under this OTA within the Government for United States Government purposes only; and to release or disclose data outside the Government to any authorized persons pursuant to an executed non-disclosure agreement for such persons use, modification, or reproduction for United States Government purposes only. United States Government purposes include Foreign Military Sales purposes. Under this Agreement, the period of Government purpose rights shall be no less than ten (10) years and during such time the MCDC member entity or PAH developing or providing such Data to the Government with government purpose rights shall have the sole and exclusive right to use such Data for commercial purposes. In the event this Data is used to perform another project issued to that MCDC member entity or PAH under this OTA during this ten (10) year period, the period of government purpose rights shall be extended an additional ten (10) years starting with the date of completion of performance of the additional project.
(10) Limited rights as used in this Article is as defined in DFARS 252.227-7013(a)(13) (Nov 1995).
(11) Restricted rights as used in this Article is as defined in DFARS 252.227-7014(a)(14) (Jun 1995).
Base Agreement: 11.02 Data Categories
(1) Category A is the Data developed and paid for totally by private funds, or the PAH (Project Agreement Holder)’s (or its subcontractor’s) IR&D funds and it is Data to which the PAH (or its subcontractor) retains all rights. Category A Data shall include, but not be limited to,
(a) Data as defined in this Article and any designs or other material provided by the PAH for a project under this Agreement which was not developed in the performance of work under that project, and for which the PAH retains all rights.
(b) Any initial Data or technical, marketing, or financial Data provided at the onset of the project by any of the MCDC member entities or PAHs. Such Data shall be marked “Category A” and any rights to be provided to the Government for such Data under a specific project shall be as identified in the proposal submitted to the Government and included into the Technical Direction Letter and CMF issued Project Agreements.
(2) Category B is any Data developed under this OTA with mixed funding, i.e. development was accomplished partially with costs charged to a PAH’s indirect cost pools and/or costs not allocated to a PAH’s Project Agreement under this OTA, and partially with Government funding under this OTA. Any Data developed outside of this OTA whether or not developed with any Government funding in whole or in part under a Government agreement, contract or subcontract shall have the rights negotiated under such prior agreement, contract or subcontract; the Government shall get no additional rights in such Data.
(3) Category C is any Data developed exclusively with Government funds under this OTA. Research and Development performed was not accomplished exclusively or partially at private expense. Under this category,
(a) the Government will have Government Purpose Rights in Data developed exclusively with Government funds under a project funded by the Government under this OTA that is:
(i) Data pertaining to an item, component, or process which has been or will be developed exclusively with Government funds;
(ii) Studies, analyses, test data, or similar data produced for this contract, when the study, analysis, test, or similar work was specified as an element of performance;
(iii) Data created in the performance of the OTA that does not require the development, manufacture, construction, or production of items, components, or processes;
(iv) Form, fit, and function data;
(v) Data necessary for installation, operation, maintenance, or training purposes (other than detailed manufacturing or process data);
(vi) Corrections or changes to technical data furnished to the Contractor by the Government;
The Government can only order such Data as is developed under the OTA project where the order request is made within one (1) year following OTA project completion. In the event the Government orders such Data, it shall pay the PAH the reasonable costs for all efforts to deliver such requested Data, including but not limited to costs of locating such Data, formatting, reproducing, shipping, and associated administrative costs.
(b) The Government shall have unlimited rights in Data
(i) Otherwise publicly available or that has been released or disclosed by PAH without restrictions on further use, release or disclosure, other than a release or disclosure resulting from the sale, transfer, or other assignment of interest in the Data to another party or the sale or transfer of some or all of a business entity or its assets to another party;
(ii) Data in which the Government has obtained unlimited rights under another Government contract or as a result of negotiations; or
(iii) Data furnished to the Government, under this or any other Government contract or subcontract thereunder, with—
(1) Government Purpose Rights or limited rights and the restrictive condition(s) has/have expired; or
(2) Government purpose rights and the PAH’s exclusive right to use such Data for commercial purposes under such contract or subcontract has expired.
(c) However, any Data developed outside of this OTA whether or not developed with any Government funding in whole or in part under a Government agreement, contract or subcontract shall have the rights negotiated under such prior agreement, contract or subcontract; the Government shall get no additional rights in such Data.
(4) The parties to this Agreement understand and agree that the CMF shall require PAHs stamp all documents in accordance with this Article and that the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Trade Secrets Act (TSA) apply to Data.
Base Agreement: 11.03 Allocation of Principal Rights
(1) The Government shall have no rights to Category A Data.
(2) The Government shall have immediate Government Purpose Rights to Category B or C Data upon delivery or project or Agreement completion (whichever is earlier), except that
(a) where the PAH whose Data it is, is a small business as defined under the Small Business Innovation research Program (SBIR) under 15 U.S.C. 638, and such data was developed under a project designated by the Government in the RPP as an SBIR program project, such PAH automatically shall be entitled to a delay in the start of the Government Purpose Rights period for at least five (5) years from project completion, or such longer period as may be negotiated among the Government and MCDC on behalf of the PAH, and
(b) The CMF, at the request of small business or an other than small business MCDC member entity or PAH, may request on such member entity’s or PAH’s behalf a delay of the start of Government Purpose Rights in Category B or C Data for a period not to exceed five (5) years from project or Agreement completion (whichever is earlier). Such requests will only be made in those cases where the CMF has provided information from the affected actual or prospective PAH demonstrating the need for this additional restriction on Government use and shall be submitted to the ACC-NJ AO for approval, which approval shall not be unreasonably withheld. In the event of any dispute regarding approval of this request, the parties agree to treat this as a dispute and shall follow the provisions of Article VII, Disputes.
(c) for Article XI. Section 11.02 3(c) Category C Data, the Government shall have only the rights established under prior agreements.
(d) for Article XI. Section 11.02 3(d) Category C Data, the Government shall only have the rights set forth in the Commercial Computer Software Data license agreement.
(3) Data that will be delivered, furnished, or otherwise provided to the Government as specified in a specific project award funded under this Agreement, in which the Government has previously obtained rights, shall be delivered, furnished, or provided with the pre-existing rights, unless (a) the parties have agreed otherwise, or (b) any restrictions on the Government’s rights to use, modify, reproduce, release, perform, display, or disclose the data have expired or no longer apply.
(4) Each proposal submitted by the MCDC member entities in response to a Government call for proposals under this OTA shall include a list of the Category A, B and C Data to be used or developed under the proposal if selected. Rights in such Data shall be as established under the terms of this Agreement, unless otherwise asserted in the proposal and agreed to by the Government. The Government AO will incorporate the list of Category A, B and C Data and the identified rights therefor in the award document.
Following issuance of a Technical Direction Letter and subsequent CMF issuance of the Project Agreement to the Government selected MCDC member entity (the PAH), the PAH shall update the list to identify any additional, previously unidentified, Data if such Data will be used or generated in the performance of the funded work. Rights in such Data shall be as established under the terms of this Agreement, unless otherwise asserted in a supplemental listing and agreed to by the Government.
Statement of Work: 7.0 Intellectual Property, Data Rights, and Copyrights
7.1 Background IP
(b) Background IP Limited License to Government. Subject to the terms of the Project Agreement, Novavax grants the U.S. Government a nonexclusive, worldwide, nontransferable, non-sublicenseable license to use the Background IP to the limited extent necessary for the U.S. Government to review and use the Deliverables tendered by Novavax under this Agreement identified in Section 4.0 above, and for no other purpose; provided that the U.S. Government agrees that it may not disclose the Background IP to third parties, or allow third parties to have access to, use, practice or have practiced the Background IP, without Novavax’s prior written consent. To the extent that a Deliverable with Foreground IP incorporates or uses Background IP, the Deliverable shall be deemed and considered to comprise Background IP and shall be used by the U.S. Government in accordance with this Background IP Limited License.
(c) Background IP License to Novavax. Subject to the terms of the Project Agreement, the U.S. Government grants to Novavax a nonexclusive, worldwide, nontransferable, irrevocable, paid-up license to any intellectual property (including patents and patent applications) to which the U.S. Government has rights thereto, provided that such license is limited to such intellectual property rights necessary to perform Novavax’s obligations under the Project Agreement.
7.2 Foreground IP
(b) Foreground IP Special License. Subject to the terms of the Project Agreement, Novavax grants the U.S. Government a nonexclusive, worldwide, nontransferable, irrevocable, paid-up license to practice or have practiced the Foreground IP for or on behalf of the U.S. Government (“Foreground IP Special License”).
Statement of Work: 8.0 Data Rights
Article XI, §11.03 of the Base Agreement is hereby amended, consistent with the “Specifically Negotiated License Rights” capability at Article XI, §§11.01(12) and 11.03(4), as follows:
8.2 Rights to Data
(a) Subject Data. Subject to the terms of the Project Agreement, Novavax grants to the U.S. Government a Government purpose rights license to Subject Data that will convert to an unlimited rights license (as the term is defined in Article XI, Section 11.01(14) of the Base Agreement) after three (3) years from the date of delivery. As used herein, “Subject Data” shall mean Technical Data under Article XI, §11.01(13) of the Base Agreement Deliverables that are considered Subject Data are identified in the Deliverable Table set forth in Section 4.0 above.
(b) Transfer of Data. Each party, upon written request to the other party, shall have the right to review and to request delivery of Subject Data, and delivery of such Data shall be made to the requesting party within two weeks of the request, except to the extent that such Data are subject to a claim of confidentiality or privilege by a third party.
(c) Background IP Limited License. To the extent that Subject Data incorporates or uses Background IP, the data shall be deemed and considered to comprise Background IP and shall be used by the U.S. Government in accordance with the Background IP Limited License set forth in Section 7.3 above.