§ 8.3.2 Effect of Termination. Upon termination (but not expiration) of this Agreement for any reason (other than termination by Merck pursuant to Section 8.3.1(b)), all licenses and other rights granted hereunder shall terminate (except those that expressly survive as set forth in Section 8.4). In addition, in such case, [*] the following consequences shall apply; provided that if this Agreement is terminated only with respect to a particular Product or Product(s) the following shall apply solely with respect to such Product or Product(s):
- Terminated Products. Following termination NewLink may elect to receive (which election shall be made in writing to Merck within [*] following termination), and Merck hereby grants to NewLink, effective upon such election, [*]) to research, develop, import, use, make, have made, offer for sale and sell the Current Product (if this Agreement is terminated with respect to the Current Product) and any other Product [*], but excluding [*] (such Products, [*] “Terminated Products”), in each case, in the Field in the Territory. [*] Notwithstanding the provisions of this Section 8.3.2(a), the licenses in this Section 8.3.2(a) shall not be effective until such time as the Parties agree [*].
- Regulatory Documentation. Promptly following the effective date of such termination, Merck shall transfer and assign to NewLink all of its (and its Affiliates) material Regulatory Documentation and data relating solely and exclusively to any Terminated Products (provided, however, that if there is additional Regulatory Documentation or data in Merck’s (or its Affiliates) Control related to the Terminated Products that is necessary for NewLink to continue to Develop and Commercialize such Terminated Product, then at the written request of NewLink (which request shall be made within [*] following the effective date of termination), Merck shall use Commercially Reasonable Efforts to provide NewLink with access to such Regulatory Documentation and data (provided that Merck may redact any and all portions thereof not related to the Terminated Product)), in each case, to the extent [*].
- Transition Assistance. Merck shall, [*], provide the following transitional assistance upon request by NewLink:
ii. Merck shall, at NewLink’s request, provide to NewLink (including when available, in electronic format) a copy of the physical embodiment of all Merck Know-How that is directly related to any Terminated Product and licensed to NewLink pursuant to Section 8.3.2(a); provided that NewLink shall comply with the confidentiality and non-use provisions set forth in Article 4 with respect to such Merck Know-How, and NewLink shall only use such Merck Know-How in accordance with the licenses pursuant to Section 8.3.2(a).
iii. Merck shall [*] all inventory of Terminated Product in Merck’s (or its Affiliate’s) possession, and in connection therewith, [*].
iv. Merck shall [*] all inventory of Terminated Product in Merck’s (or its Affiliate’s) possession, and in connection therewith, [*].
v. Merck shall assign or transfer to NewLink any manufacturing agreement between Merck and a Third Party contract manufacturer with respect to such Terminated Product, to the extent assignable (and solely to the extent that such manufacturing agreement does not relate to any other products).
- Other Provisions. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this Section 8.3.2, any [*] to provide [*] shall not [*]. All Regulatory Documentation, Know-How, data, information, correspondence and other items provided to NewLink pursuant to this Section 8.3.2 shall be provided [*], and shall [*]. NewLink shall provide reasonable assistance to Merck in connection with the transfer and delivery of the foregoing items.
- Wind-Down. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this Section 8.3.2, the licenses granted to Merck pursuant to Section 3.1 and Section 3.2 shall survive for [*] following the effective date of termination in order for Merck (and its Affiliates, sublicensees and distributors), [*], during the [*] period immediately following the effective date of termination, to (i) finish or otherwise wind-down any ongoing Clinical Trials with respect to any Compounds or Products hereunder or transfer such Clinical Trials (where Merck is permitted to do so under Applicable Law) to NewLink and (ii) finish any work-in-progress and sell any Products or Compounds remaining in inventory, in accordance with the terms of this Agreement; provided that, for clarity, [*] and; provided further, that such licenses shall be non-exclusive.
§ 8.3.3 Effect of Termination by Merck for Insolvency Event. In the event that this Agreement is terminated by Merck under Section 8.3.1(b) then the provisions of this Section 8.3.3 shall apply (and the provisions of Section 8.3.2 shall not apply). In the event that this Agreement is terminated due to the rejection of this Agreement by or on behalf of NewLink due to an Insolvency Event (including under Section 365 of the United States Bankruptcy Code (the “Code”), as applicable), all licenses and rights to licenses granted under or pursuant to this Agreement by NewLink to Merck are and shall otherwise be deemed to be (including for purposes of Section 365(n) of the Code, as applicable) licenses of rights to “intellectual property” (including as defined under Section 101(35A) of the Code, as applicable). The Parties agree that Merck, as a licensee of such rights under this Agreement, shall retain and may fully exercise all of its rights and elections under any applicable insolvency statute (including the Code), and that upon commencement of an Insolvency Event by or against NewLink, Merck shall be entitled to a complete duplicate of or complete access to (as Merck deems appropriate), any such intellectual property and all embodiments of such intellectual property. Such intellectual property and all embodiments thereof shall be promptly delivered to Merck (i) upon any such commencement of a bankruptcy proceeding upon written request therefore by Merck, unless NewLink elects to continue to perform all of its obligations under this Agreement or (ii) if not delivered under (i) above, upon the rejection of this Agreement by or on behalf of NewLink, then upon written request therefore. The provisions of this Section 8.3.3 shall be (1) without prejudice to any rights Merck may have arising under any applicable insolvency statute or other Applicable Law (including the Code, as applicable) and (2) effective only to the extent permitted by Applicable Law (including the Code, as applicable).
§ 8.4 Effect of Expiration or Termination; Survival. Subject to a Party’s continuing right to use and disclose Confidential Information of the other Party under the surviving license pursuant to this Article 8, if any, following expiration or any early termination of this Agreement, each Party shall destroy, and confirm in writing that is has destroyed, all Confidential Information in tangible form and substances or compositions delivered or provided by the other Party, as well as any other material provided by the other Party in any medium (provided, however, that the receiving Party may keep one copy of Confidential Information received from the other Party in its confidential legal archives to confirm compliance with the non‑use and non‑disclosure provisions of this Agreement). Expiration or termination of this Agreement shall not relieve the Parties of any obligation accruing prior to such expiration or termination. Each Party shall pay all amounts then due and owing as of the expiration or termination date. Any expiration or termination of this Agreement shall be without prejudice to the rights of either Party against the other accrued or accruing under this Agreement prior to expiration or termination. [Survival provisions omitted.]